A good and balanced diet, avoid overexposure to environmental factors, and a good technique of washing your hair are the general measures you must take to have healthy and attractive hair. These are the basics of hair care guide that you will find in every hair guide out there.
You will have to spend a little more time and take care of your hair to make it the best ever. The use of natural hair care products either directly or as formula ingredients sold in the market can be very beneficial. Do not subject your hair to excessive heat during drying, avoid frequent use of hair straighteners, and avoid dyes and chemicals that can damage your hair are essential measures for the health of your hair.
The techniques you use for hair care such as careful hairstyling, cutting your hair when necessary, and the proper use of shampoos, conditioners, and masks will ensure you have healthy, soft, and attractive hair.
But there is more…
Here is a complete yet simple hair care guide that will show you how exactly you can make your hair better without or without using those fancy hair care products.
Table of Contents
Everyday Hair Care Tips
The integumentary system consisting of skin, hair, and nails is the largest and heaviest in your body. As the first barrier of defence, it should be pampered and taken care of as much as your heart or brain. Below you will find everyday hair care tips and techniques.
1. Healthy and Balanced Diet
Let’s start by establishing that your skin and hair should be hydrated and nourished, so a balanced and nutritious diet is extremely important. Your hair, like a mirror, reflects your state of health. A diet rich in vitamins A, B, C, and E will allow you to show a healthy mane.
So what foods are good for your hair? What types of food you should use that contain the necessary nutrients for your hair?
Here is a list of foods that are healthy for your hair growth and will help you with hair care:
- Green vegetables such as chard, lettuce, spinach, watercress, and broccoli are an extraordinary source of vitamins A and C that help keep your hair hydrated by helping your body produce sebum in the sebaceous glands.
- Grains such as lentils, beans, peas, chickpeas, and string beans provide protein, iron, zinc, and biotin which are very important for the strength of your hair. These grains prevent your hair from breaking and reduce hair fall significantly. Biotin is a substance with the power to strengthen hair follicles and stems and helps repair weakened hair.
- Eat carrots as much as you can. It is a rich source of vitamin E and C, potassium, and beta-carotene (a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals). In addition, beta-carotene is converted by the liver into vitamin A which, in turn, helps produce the oils that support your scalp.
- Citrus fruits such as lemon, orange, grapefruit, and all fruits rich in vitamin C play a key role in the production of collagen, an essential compound that keeps your hair healthy, strong, soft, and hydrated.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, such as salmon, tuna, and sardines. These essential fatty acids feed the hair follicles, stimulating hair growth, and keeping it silky and shiny.
- Eggs are one of the richest foods in vitamin B12, a key nutrient to nourish your hair and give it freshness. The yolk is rich in fats and is a natural moisturizer which functions as a conditioner that increases the volume, shine, and texture of your hair.
- Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, and peanuts have zinc, selenium, and vitamin B in large quantities. These are the nutrients that combat premature hair loss and grey hair.
- Cereals either grain or whole grain are rich in vitamin B5 and inositol, a compound that is considered one of the main nutrients to stimulate hair growth and prevent baldness.
- Water is essential for your hair. Although it is not a food, it plays a key function in the body and the health of your hair. Lack of hydration is the most common cause of a rough, dry, and dull mane, so drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day will help keep your hair hydrated.
2. Environmental Factors
Although exposure to the sun is the best source of vitamin D, which helps absorb calcium from dairy products and keeps your hair follicles strong and healthy, overexposure can damage your hair, resecting it. The same happens with dry and cold climates, baths in the sea and swimming pools, etc. You should avoid prolonged exposure to these factors. If you live in a dry climate zone, keep your skin hydrated.
3. Hair Washing Frequency
If your hair is dry, it is recommended that you wash it every 3-4 days. On the other hand, if your hair is fatty, every 2 days is ideal.
It is best to wash your hair with water at a warm temperature as it allows the dissolution of fats, but without hurting the hair and scalp with high temperatures. If you use cold water, the fats will not be disposed of properly. Avoid rubbing the shampoo vigorously, on the contrary, a gentle massage of the scalp will help keep hair healthy.
Best Hair Care Products
No hair care guide can be considered complete without the mention of hair care tools. Wearing an attractive and healthy hair deserves to spend time in its care. Women always want to look beautiful and their hair is an important constituent.
Irrespective of whether you are a man or a woman, the hair care tools discussed below will help you improve your hair health. These are everyday usage tools that you should know how to use.
Here is a list of hair care products and tools that you should have in your bathroom all the time with additional tips on how to best use them:
1. Hair Comb
Preferably with wide teeth since it combs more delicately. You should use it when your hair is wet. It is very useful for untangling your hair. Do not forget to rinse your comb with warm water after use to remove any dirt that may have adhered to.
It is an essential tool to achieve a spectacular hairstyle. The semi-round brushes are used to dry short or medium length hair and to comb concrete areas such as the chick. Use flat brushes for long hair. The bristles should not, under any circumstances, have sharp edges as otherwise, they would damage the scalp and hair fibre. The brushes are used for all types of hairstyles created with a dryer.
3. Thermal Hairbrushes
It is a good method for shaping hair. Thermal brushes are used for hair that needs to be moulded by strong brush strokes from the roots to the ends, that is, in the case of stubborn, dense, and strong hair.
It is a tool that cannot be missed. By making good use of it, you can dry your hair gently and quickly. The most important thing is to never use it in a position of maximum temperature and always blow the hot air at a distance of at least 8 inches so as to avoid hair damage with excessive heat.
5. Hair Diffuser
This accessory allows you to mould spectacular loops and smooth waves. It should be used with a low temperature, blowing hard to preserve the natural shine of your hair.
6. Hair Straightener
With this tool, you can easily and quickly get a straight hairstyle, without burned hair. Waves and curly hair, who want to wear the current straight hair look.
7. Hair Rolls
Hair rolls can be large or small, long or short, for heating or classic. If your hair does not hold the hairstyle, simply moisten the hair and mould it with curlers.
8. Use Natural Hair Care Products
Commercial hair care products promise great results but often contain chemicals that can dry your hair and leave it dull and flaccid. You will probably notice the difference immediately if you switch to products made with natural herbs, oils, and creams to nourish your hair.
Advanced Hair Care Techniques
It’s hard to take care of your hair without using certain products. There are different techniques and products that will help you have healthy and spectacular hair. But you should not forget to take care of your scalp. Hydration and nutrition of your hair and scalp are the keys.
Let’s see the most recommended techniques:
1. Protect Your Hair from the Environment
In the same way that you would protect your skin from the sun, wind, and low temperatures, you need to protect your hair. If you don’t do it, it will dry out over time and become brittle.
2. Trim Your Hair Frequently
As soon as the tips start to split, trim it. This will ensure that split ends do not continue to split higher. Your hair will be less likely to break, and it will look healthy and full of life.
3. Avoid Dyes and Permanent Treatments
Chemicals in dyes, bleaches, Brazilian lacerates and chemicals for straightening and curling can cause a lot of damage if used very frequently.
Oils are the best ally for hair hydration. Just look at how bright, healthy, and hydrated the hair is when it comes in contact with the natural oils of the scalp skin.
5. Use Hair Mask
Once a week, use a hair mask. Moisten your hair, then put it on the mask. But do not forget that you must let it act for a long time: 10 or 15 minutes would be perfect. Then rinse the hair with cold water. A hair mask helps keep your hair very healthy.
6. Olive Oil
It helps repair dry and damaged hair, restoring elasticity and repairs their ends, which are responsible for making the hair look rough and dull. It also facilitates detangling and gives it shine. It’s easy, you just must apply two teaspoons of oil on your dry hair before showering.
Its benefit for hair has been widely known for many years. In fact, some shampoos are made with egg white by providing vitamins E and D, which are responsible for making the hair stronger.
8. Coconut Oil
It exerts an important emollient action and provides shine and strength. It also serves as a conditioner for people who have curly and dry hair.
9. Aloe Vera
There are reports that its use brings many benefits to the skin. It also helps hair growth, slows its fall and serves as a treatment when the hair is thinner and somewhat brittle. We can use a shampoo that already contains this plant among its ingredients or applies it directly on the scalp while doing a gentle massage so that it penetrates well.
It is moisturizing and hence it brings all kinds of benefits so that the hair gets stronger. It provides softness and clarity to damaged hair.
11. Natural Blockers of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
If your hair is falling or you suffer from androgenic alopecia, DHT blockers will be very useful. Saw Palmetto, green tea, Pygeum Africanum are some examples. They act by blocking the enzyme responsible for transforming testosterone into DHT.
There are many products on the market that incorporate one or more natural ingredients among their hair care products, you must check their composition and choose the best one for you.
The Next Step
Now that you know how to deal with your hair, it’s time to take action. I am sure this hair guide should have helped you better understand your hair.
Having a healthy and attractive hair is only achieved with effort and dedication. The first thing you should do is have a nutritionally balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids, mainly water, and protect your hair from environmental factors.
At the same time, avoid damaging your hair by using dryers with very hot air, frequent use of straightening, and use of dyes for your hair. Good washing, drying, and styling techniques are essential for healthy hair. Trim your hair frequently especially when you have very dry or split ends. Wearing a moisturizing mask once a week should be in your hair care routine.
Finally, do not forget to nourish your hair, not only ingesting beneficial foods but also using natural hair care products directly on your hair and scalp. Use this hair care guide as the starting point for taking care of your hair.
Let’s achieve a healthy and attractive mane.